Many paths to the goal
Researchers from five different research projects on ecosystem services met on 26 January to learn from one another.
“Being able to listen to other researchers’ experiences with various methodologies in our field is extremely useful,” says Coreplan Project Manager Ann-Magnhild Solås.
Camilla Brattland, Coreplan Researcher at the Centre of Sami Studies, UiT, hosted the seminar on research on ecosystem services on 26 January. The purpose was to exchange knowledge and experiences between different projects in the research environment in Tromsø that use or have used an ecosystem service perspective for the research. [About ecosystem services]
How useful is such a perspective, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using such an approach? There are various frameworks available with different understandings of ecosystem services and therefore also different recommendations in terms of approach.
The researchers presented their projects and the methods they have used or intend to use. How have the frameworks been used, specifically? Have you identified a need to change the recommended approach? What were the lessons learned during the process?
“We have found that there are many different ways in which to approach the issues in order to establish useful results,” Solås says.
The researchers are planning to meet again to exchange experiences.
The following projects were presented and discussed:
- Jarle Bjerke, NINA: National investigation of ecosystem services in wetland, MD and the links to Nordic and international processes: http://www.miljodirektoratet.no/no/Tema/Arter-og-naturtyper/Verdien-av-naturmangfold-og-okosystemtjenester/
- Jannike Falk-Andersson, Norut: Nature Values, UiT (non-financial values in the coastal zone): https://uit.no/prosjekter/prosjekt?p_document_id=351844
- Sanne Bech Holmgaard, NIKU: ECCO (Ecosystem services and coastal governance): http://www.ifram.no/db.343156.no.html?lid=359.fc31e65ec863f1241913bdf7338e106e
- Vera Hausner, UiT/AMB: CultES, UiT (alpine and fjord landscapes): http://site.uit.no/cultes/
- Bente Sundsvold, UiT/NFH: Coreplan, Nofima (Ecosystem services in coastal zone planning): http://coreplan.no